Sunday, December 28, 2008

Roger Linehan - R.I.P.

I would not have guessed that I would have made a friend through this blog but I did.

A couple of years ago, not long after I started blogging and when I was active on talk radio, I received a very nice email complimenting me on what I had written/said. Well, you don't get these very often so I was quick to respond. Over time we exchanged many emails on the state of politics and the province.

It wasn't until a little more than a year ago that I met the man behind these emails; he chose to run for the Liberal Party in the highly government-friendly seat of Kilbride. Besides running too, I was helping to coordinate the regional campaign and, through that, finally had the opportunity to put a man to those emails.

And that man was interesting, tall, bald, funny, realistic, fiercely partisan, always had a warm smile and was ready to chat anytime.

I liked him.

We continued to talk politics at whatever event we found ourselves, chronically exchanged emails and talked about the future, most recently about his new home reno business in which I had a keen interest (having a house which keenly needs renos).

The last email I received from him was on Christmas Eve. It was to me and others and looked forward to the new year, all the exciting things it would bring and getting together to have a chat to figure out what it all meant.

On Boxing Day, he was killed by a drunk driver. It doesn't get any more senseless than that.

Now we won't have a chance to have that chat and I regret that loss.

My sympathies to his family; we have lost a good man.

2 comments:

babe in boyland said...

roger linehan was a good man. he was curious and thoughtful, and when he reached a conviction he was willing to act on it.

god rest his soul and give consolation to his family.

Unknown said...

Hi,

I just found out about Roger's passing today. I worked with him for the last year and i can tell you that he was an exceptional person. Recently, i quit my job and he was the only person to email me and say good luck with myself. That alone says what type of person he was. This is a terrible loss and my thoughts are with his wife, family and friends.